Voter and Ballot Information

What are the key dates leading up to the November 2, 2021 bond vote? 


Voter registration procedures have changed since the last election. 


  • Absentee voter ballots will be available September 18, 2021 

  • The deadline to register to vote by mail must be postmarked by October 18, 2021 

  • In-person registration with your local clerk with proof of residency runs from September 19 – November 2, 2021 at 8 p.m.  

  • The deadline for electors to obtain an absent voter ballot via First Class mail is October 29, 2021 at 5 p.m. 

  • The deadline for electors to obtain an absent voter ballot in person in clerk’s office is November 1, 2021 at 4 p.m. 

  • Election Day is Tuesday, November 2, 2021. You can register to vote at any time up to 8 p.m. on Election Day at your city or township clerk’s office. Voters who register on Election Day get a ballot and can vote that day. 



Where and when will the vote occur?  


Tuesday, November 2, 2021 is election day. Absentee voting can occur anytime from September 18, 2021 to November 2, 2021. All registered voters may cast an absentee voter ballot by mail. Voters may cast a ballot at the polling location established by their city/township. If you have questions or do not know where you vote, please contact your city/township office. Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 2, 2021. 



Where and when do I register to vote? 


To vote in the November 2, 2021 school election, you must be a U.S. citizen; at least 18 years of age by Election Day; a resident of Michigan and Columbia School District and registered to vote. Please contact your city/township Clerk to register or visit any Secretary of State office. Printable voter registration forms are available on the state website,



Am I eligible to Vote?  

Full verification requirements for registration from September 19 –November 2 can be found through the MVIC (Michigan Voter Information Center) from the Secretary of State found here:  


Proof of eligibility: To be eligible to register to vote you must be: 

  • A Michigan resident (at the time you register) and a resident of your city or township for at least 30 days (when you vote) 

  • A United States citizen 

  • At least 18 years of age (when you vote) 

  • Not currently serving a sentence in jail or prison 


You can register when you are 17.5 years old, but you can’t vote until you’re 18. 

Proof of residency if registering within two weeks of Election: If you register within 14 days of Election Day, you must show proof of where you live. Documents must have your name and current address. You can show a digital copy of documents. Acceptable documents include: 

  • Michigan driver’s license or state ID 

  • Current utility bill 

  • Bank statement 

  • Paycheck or government check 

  • Other government document 



How do I apply to vote absentee? 


All voters are eligible to obtain an Absentee Ballot Application and ballot from their township of residence.  Registered voters must complete and submit the application to receive their absentee voter ballot. To obtain an absentee ballot, fill out the absentee ballot application and sign it, and then mail or email it to your local clerk. For assistance in obtaining the address of your local clerk, visit When filling out the application, if you check the box to be added to the permanent absentee voter list, you will get an application mailed to you before every election. 


Applications for Absentee Ballots are available: 

  • Online 

  • At your Clerk’s office 


Note: Once election ballots are available in the clerk’s office, you can walk into your clerk’s office, receive an absentee application, fill it out, and immediately be given your ballot to cast your vote. 



If I rent a house, live in an apartment, or a modular home park and do not pay property taxes, can I vote on the bond proposal? 


Yes, you can vote on the bond proposal. You must be a registered voter in the city or township you are living in. 



Where is my voting location and what if it has changed? 


Voters who are voting in a different polling location will be notified of the changes at least 2 ways: 1. The clerk of the voter’s township of residence will be sending each voter a notice through the mail-either a postcard or letter.  2. The Notice of Election published in the newspaper will also list the changes.  Finally, voters will be able to see the change in voting location using the MVIC website.    


If you are unsure of your precinct’s voting location, please visit the following link: 

Ballot Language

How will the sinking fund millage proposal appear on the ballot? 





Shall the limitation on the amount of taxes which may be assessed against all property in Columbia School District, Jackson, Lenawee, Washtenaw and Hillsdale Counties, Michigan, be increased by and the board of education be authorized to levy not to exceed 0.65 mill ($0.65 on each $1,000 of taxable valuation) for a period of 10 years, 2022 to 2031, inclusive, to create a sinking fund for the construction or repair of school buildings, for school security improvements, for the acquisition or upgrading of technology, and all other purposes authorized by law; the estimate of the revenue the school district will collect if the millage is approved and levied in 2022 is approximately $470,124?